Correction on Form 24G Statement
Every Form 24G is to be prepared in accordance with the data structure prescribed by the Income Tax Department (ITD). If it does not confirm to the new data structure it will be rejected by TIN.
As per procedure, returns/statements relating to Form 24G should be complete and correct. No fragmented returns/statements are expected to be filed (separate returns/statements giving details for deductions under different form type with respect to the same AIN, FY and month). However, procedure for correction of any mistake made in the original accepted returns/statements can now be rectified by submitting ‘correction returns/statements’.
There are two different types of correction statements that can be furnished by the AO. These are listed below.
M (Modify) -: For any modification in the existing Form 24G statement.
X (Cancel) -: For cancellation of an existing Form 24G statement.
For preparation of correction statement, Receipt number of original statement and receipt number of previous statement is mandatory.
In case of first correction, PRN of original statement to be provided in field of “Receipt number of Original Statement” and also in the field of “Receipt number of Previous Statement “.
In case correction statement has already been filed, PRN of original statement to be provided in field of “Receipt number of Original Statement” and PRN of last correction to be mentioned in field of “Receipt number of Previous Statement”.
Preparation of Correction Statements
M –Type of Correction Statement
This type of correction statement is to be furnished by AO, if it wishes to update any of its details like its name, address, Responsible person details, category, Ministry, State, Deletion and addition of DDO (Drawing & Disbursing Officer) etc. Modifications in AIN (Account office Identification Number), Financial Year and Month are not allowed.
There are three modes by which changes can be made in the DDO details provided in original Form 24G statement:
- Add: DDO records can be added to the original Form 24G statement
- Update: details of DDO (i.e. TAN, TAN Name, demographic and contact details, amount of tax deducted and remitted, nature of deduction) can be updated for the DDO records provided in original or subsequent correction statement
- Delete: DDO records provided in original Form 24G or subsequent correction statement can be deleted
M-type correction statement will always contain AO details and details of DDO which are added and/or deleted.
X–Type of Correction Statement
This type of correction statement is to be furnished by AO if it wishes to cancel an existing Form 24G statement. Filing of Correction type X, will allow AOs to file regular Form 24G for the same primary key (AIN, Financial year and Month).
Form 24G corrections can also be uploaded directly at the TIN website. For direct upload at TIN Central system, AO has to first register AIN at TIN website and upload the Form 24G correction.
Impact of filing Form correction 24G statement on BIN details:
- BIN will be generated for valid DDO records added in Form 24G correction statement
- BIN will be generated for DDO records where invalid TANs/TAN not present in Income Tax Department database is updated with a valid TAN.
- BIN will not be generated for any update made in TAN name, demographic and contact details, amount of Tax deducted and remitted nature of deduction.
- BIN details will not be generated for deleted DDO records.