To enable eligible Entities verify Permanent Account Numbers (PANs), Income Tax Department (ITD) has authorized NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited (NSDL e-Gov ) to launch an online PAN verification service for verification of PANs by authorized entities.
Entities who can avail of this facility:
- Insurance Web Aggregators
- Non Banking Financial Companies approved by RBI
- Prepaid Payment Instrument Issuers approved by RBI
- Housing Finance Companies
- Insurance Company
- Insurance Repository
- Companies and Government deductor (Required to file TDS/TCS return)
- Mutual Funds
- Credit card Companies / Institutions
- Central Recordkeeping Agency of National Pension System
- DSC issuing Authorities
- Depository Participants
- Credit information companies approved by RBI
- KYC Registration Agency (KRA)/Central KYC Registry
- Educational Institutions established by Regulatory Bodies
- Companies (Required to furnish Annual Information Return (AIR)/Statement of Financial Transaction (SFT)
- Any other entity required to furnish Annual Information Return (AIR)/Statement of Financial Transaction (SFT)
- Stock Exchanges/Commodity Exchanges/Clearing Corporations
- Goods and Services Tax Network
- Government Agencies (Central/State)
- Income Tax Projects
- Reserve Bank of India
- Department of Commercial Taxes
- Stamp and Registration Department
- Central Vigilance Commission
This service has three modes of verification:
- Screen based verification
- File based verification
- Software (API) based verification
(1) Screen based verification:
The users, after login, can furnish up to a maximum of five PANs in the screen provided. The PANs may be entered in the boxes provided in the screen and then submitted. The response giving details of PAN will be displayed in the response screen.
(2) File based verification:
The users, after login, can upload a file containing maximum of 1000 PANs (file structure as specified by NSDL e-Gov ). The site will make available, within 24 hours, a response file containing details of the PANs. In case, file format is incorrect, the system will convey the rejection within 24 hours. The entity can download the response at his convenience up to 15 days.
(3) Software (API) based PAN verification:
The facility is an interface that allows the user to make an online verification of PAN by accessing the verification-site through a software application.
Response to the User
- In case of valid PAN, name of the PAN holder, last date of PAN update as per ITD database and the status as “existing and valid” will be displayed. If the PAN is a fake PAN as per ITD database, the status will be shown as “Fake PAN”.
- In case where category of user is Department of Commercial Taxes, valid PAN, name of the PAN holder, Date of Birth, father’s name and last date of PAN update as per ITD database and the status as “existing and valid” will be displayed.
- If the PAN is a fake PAN as per ITD database, the status will be shown as “Fake PAN”.
- In case the PAN is not found in database, the response will be “not in ITD database”. In such cases, if the user is able to provide a proof of this PAN (copy of PAN card or PAN allotment letter), NSDL e-Gov will forward the same to ITD for investigation.