To enable eligible Entities verify Permanent Account Numbers (PANs), Income Tax Department (ITD) has authorized NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited (NSDL e-Gov ) to launch an online PAN verification service for verification of PANs by authorized entities.
Entities who can avail of this facility:
- Investment Advisor approved by SEBI
- Insurance Web Aggregators
- Non Banking Financial Companies approved by RBI
- Prepaid Payment Instrument Issuers approved by RBI
- Housing Finance Companies
- Insurance Company
- Insurance Repository
- Companies and Government deductor (Required to file TDS/TCS return)*
- Mutual Funds
- Credit card Companies / Institutions
- Central Recordkeeping Agency of National Pension System
- DSC issuing Authorities
- Depository Participants
- Credit information companies approved by RBI
- KYC Registration Agency (KRA)/Central KYC Registry
- Educational Institutions established by Regulatory Bodies
- Companies (Required to furnish Annual Information Return (AIR)/Statement of Financial Transaction (SFT)
- Any other entity required to furnish Annual Information Return (AIR)/Statement of Financial Transaction (SFT)
- Stock Exchanges/Commodity Exchanges/Clearing Corporations
- Goods and Services Tax Network
- Government Agencies (Central/State)
- Income Tax Projects
- Reserve Bank of India
- Department of Commercial Taxes
- Stamp and Registration Department
- Central Vigilance Commission
*Note: To register under the category “Companies and Government Deductor (Required to file TDS/TCS return)”, entities must have more than 500 deductee/collectee counts displayed on Provisional receipts in a quarter. Counts of deductee/collectee will be vetted at the time of applying for Online PAN verification facility.
This service has three modes of verification:
- Screen based verification
- File and Screen based Verification
- Software (API) based verification
(1) Screen based verification:
The users, after login, can furnish up to a maximum of five PANs in the screen provided. The PANs may be entered in the boxes provided in the screen and then submitted. The response giving details of PAN will be displayed in the response screen.
(2) File and Screen based Verification:
The users, after login, can upload a file containing maximum of 1000 PANs (file structure as specified by NSDL e-Gov ). The site will make available, within 24 hours, a response file containing details of the PANs. In case, file format is incorrect, the system will convey the rejection within 24 hours. The entity can download the response at his convenience up to 15 days.
(3) Software (API) based PAN verification:
The facility is an interface that allows the user to make an online verification of PAN by accessing the verification-site through a software application.
Response to the User
|PAN being verified||Details/response provided in PAN Verification|
|Valid PAN with events such as merger, acquisition etc.||
|Deleted or Deactivated||Only status will be shown as "Deleted" or "Marked as Deactivated" and no other details will be displayed|
|Fake PAN||Only status will be shown as "Marked as Fake" and no other details will be displayed|
|PAN not found in database||
The message "not present in ITD database" will be displayed.
In such cases, if the user is able to provide a proof of this PAN (copy of PAN card or PAN allotment letter), NSDL e-Gov will forward the same to ITD for investigation.
For PANs being verified by Department of Commercial Taxes (DCT), additional fields such as Father’s name and Date of Birth will also be provided in the response.
* Name on PAN card field will reflect as per details present in ITD database. In case name on PAN card field is blank it means the name of PAN card field is not available at ITD database.